Tag Archives: PTMP
On May 1st the first shipment of the new Radwin 5000 PTMP product will start shipping from their New Jersey warehouse. At first glance the Radwin 5000 is similar your typical wifi base station but on closer inspection the Radwin 5000 is the first of its kind.
Standard wifi base stations have a limited capacity delivered in a first come first served basis. Subscribers connecting take as much or as little of that capacity as they want. Throughput is not guaranteed per subscriber unit which means that if your neighbor decides to start downloading torrents from the internet and takes up 90% of the capacity of the base station you and the rest of the subscribers will have to contend for the remaining 10%. This might be OK in broadband service networks where you have usage cycles and over subscription but in a constant streaming applications such as IP video surveillance where dedicated bandwidth is needed at all times it doesn’t.